Spread the word to lawmakers, journalists, celebrities, friends, family, and coworkers: Standard Time is best for health, safety, schoolchildren, wages, and environment. Permanent Standard Time is the quickest way to end clock changes.
- Contact Lawmakers
- Write to Newspapers
- Sign & Share the Petition
- Engage on Social Media
- Encourage Endorsements
- Donate Funds
- Send Sponsors & Join the Board
Tell lawmakers in your state or province, and in Congress or Parliament, to oppose permanent DST and to restore permanent Standard Time.
States and provinces can restore permanent Standard Time right now! Federal permission is already granted for permanent Standard Time (permanent DST is federally forbidden in the US). Arizona, Hawaii, and all US territories happily restored permanent Standard Time decades ago.
Be specific about permanent Standard Time! Many lawmakers assume “end DST” means “end clock changes”, without realizing that permanent DST is slower and more expensive than permanent Standard Time, and without realizing permanent DST is more harmful than clock changes.
In the US:
- Contact your state and congressional lawmakers.
- Resistbot is automated! Just text the word RESIST to its Twitter, Messenger, Telegram, or to 50409, and follow its instructions to tell your STATE and CONGRESS to restore permanent Standard Time.
- Alternatively, 270toWin finds your state and congressional lawmakers for you to write and/or call individually with your request to restore permanent Standard Time.
- Write the congressional committees where four permanent-DST bills await hearing.
- Watch for hearings in the Senate Commerce and House Energy calendars for those four bills, and testify in person against them if a date is announced.
- In California (in addition to contacting your state senator and assemblymember):
- Write the State Senate Energy Committee, tell them to oppose permanent-DST bill AB 7.
- Watch for hearings, and testify in person against AB 7 if a date is announced.
- Urge Assemblymember Kansen Chu to drop his campaign for permanent DST, and to restore permanent Standard Time instead: The Honorable Kansen Chu / California State Assembly / State Capitol Room 3126 / Sacramento CA 94249-0025 / Website Contact Form / +1-916-319-2025 / email@example.com / Twitter
- In other states (in addition to contacting your state legislators): We hope to add more specific information here as time permits. Meanwhile, please research or contact your state legislature to support any permanent–Standard Time bills and oppose any permanent-DST bills.
- Contact your MLA and MP. Open North finds them for you to write and/or call with your request to restore permanent Standard Time.
- In Alberta (in addition to contacting your MP and MLA): Urge MLA Nate Glubish to drop his campaign for permanent DST, and to restore permanent Standard Time instead: The Honourable Nate Glubish / Legislative Assembly of Alberta / 103 Legislature Building / 10800 – 97th Avenue NW / Edmonton AB T5K 2B6 / +1-780-422-6880 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Twitter
- In British Columbia (in addition to contacting your MP and MLA): Urge Premier John Horgan to drop his campaign for permanent DST, and to restore permanent Standard Time instead: The Honourable John Horgan / Legislative Assembly of British Columbia / PO Box 9041 / Station Provincial Government / Victoria BC V8W 9E1 / +1-250-387-1715 / email@example.com / Twitter
- In Yukon (in addition to contacting your MP and MLA): Urge Premier Sandy Silver to drop his campaign for permanent DST, and to restore permanent Standard Time instead: The Honourable Sandy Silver / Yukon Legislative Assembly / Box 2703 / Whitehorse YT Y1A 2C6 / +1-867-393-7007 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Twitter
- In other provinces (in addition to contacting your MLA and MP): We hope to add more specific information here as time permits. Meanwhile, please research or contact your legislative assembly to support any permanent–Standard Time bills and oppose any permanent-DST bills.
Write to Newspapers
Letters to the editors and op-ed articles are another way to get lawmakers’ attention. They can also get journalists’ attention, raise public awareness, and counteract misinformation from DST proponents.
Be specific about permanent Standard Time! Many members of the press assume “end DST” means “end clock changes”, without realizing that permanent DST is slower and more expensive than permanent Standard Time, and without realizing permanent DST is more harmful than clock changes.
Letters (or emails) can come from anyone, and their content is brief and straightforward. Op-eds are longer, and their content and authorship are held to a higher standard.
Word limits and where exactly to send your writing can be found online or in the publications themselves. Write your local news, and here are links to instructions for a few of the larger publications in the US:
Sign & Share the Petition
Sign and share the new Save Standard Time petition. It calls upon lawmakers around the world and at all levels of government to reject permanent DST and to restore permanent Standard Time. Save Standard Time will forward this petition’s signatures to lawmakers as a part of ongoing lobbying efforts.
Engage on Social Media
Follow and share Save Standard Time’s website and social media with friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors. Like, reply, and repost content. Spread the word, build the movement, and counteract DST misinformation.
Use the hashtags #Save
Policy endorsements play a crucial role in raising public awareness, attracting journalists’ attention, and convincing lawmakers to do what’s best. Dozens of organizations and scores of doctors have already lent their names to this consolidated list.
Please reach out to more groups, doctors, and celebrities, and ask they join the endorsement list or publish position statements against permanent DST and for permanent Standard Time.
A great amount of ongoing time is required to research history, follow news updates, read draft legislation, index articles and studies, update this website and its corresponding social media, compose letters and emails, make phone calls, discuss issues with experts in relevant fields of study, travel to and meet with legislators, and keep track of all progress. Save Standard Time also has financial costs, such as printing, postage, mailbox rental, website hosting, travel, and bookkeeping.
Save Standard Time seeks to expand advocacy into more states and provinces, to reduce the number of permanent-DST bills and increase the number of permanent–Standard Time bills, and to qualify as a registered nonprofit organization. But this growth requires greater funding.
DST and permanent DST are supported by billion-dollar lobbyists from special-interest corporations. Save Standard Time is supported by volunteer work and donated funds. Any amount given defrays the above burdens, proves the viability of this cause, and is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Send Sponsors & Join the Board
Save Standard Time was founded in June of 2019 as a nonprofit, nonpartisan, single-issue effort, seeking to preserve and extend the observation of geographically appropriate Standard Time, as the best clock for the public good. Its operations are administered by its San Francisco–based founder, in consultation with allies across North America. Its focus is California and Congress, with advocacy in other states and in Canada as time and funds permit.
In order to stop extensions of DST into winter months, and to restore permanent Standard Time in more states and eventually in all of North America and the world, Save Standard Time as an entity must grow.
If you have suggestions for (or would like to volunteer as) angel investors, nonprofit sponsors, and board members, please email info@SaveStandardTime.com. Thanks!